- Our facility can accommodate short-term, group retreats that can include overnight accommodations (12 maximum capacity), daily meals and access to amenities such as the library, conference room, chapel and open-air Stations of the Cross Park.
- All retreat rooms are located on the 2nd floor of the two-story retreat house with elevator access if needed. Each retreat room is minimally furnished and includes a single bed and desk with bedding and towels provided.
- Meals are prepared by Bethany Retreat House staff and served in the main dining room. Depending on your Retreat Director’s agenda, one, two or three meals can be included.
Guests are provided with individual electronic fobs that will give them access to the Retreat House entrance doors as well as to their individual room. These fobs are provided free of charge during your stay and are to be returned upon departure.
- Adjacent to the property is the Bishop A. Tonnos Stations of the Cross Park that is open from 8am to 8pm for Retreat guests. Access to the Park is from the main parking area at the corner of Rymal Rd. W. and Garth St., a short 2 minute walk from Bethany Retreat House.
- There is free parking on site to accommodate all guests.
In 2013, the St. Elizabeth Home Society bought the land just east of Garth St, off Rymal Road West on Hamilton Mountain in order to build a Retreat House. After almost four years of design and construction, Bethany Retreat House welcomed guests and the Most Reverend Bishop Crosby to the official blessing in October of 2017.
Designed by Sister Maria Szucs, she envisioned an inviting building that would exude peace, spirituality and security. The Bethany Retreat House sits adjacent to the Bishop Tonnos Stations of the Cross Park, a private walk through Jesus’s journey through crucifixion to resurrection.
In 2018, Bethany Retreat House welcomed its first retreat group and are now regularly hosting overnight and weekend retreats.
The Retreat House was named for Bethany, as mentioned in the gospels of Luke and John, which was a welcoming village and home where Jesus was received.
As they continued their journey he entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak…
Martha and Mary Luke 11:38
Now a man was ill, Lazarus from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha…
The Raising of Lazarus ~ John 11:1
Six days before Passover Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. They gave a dinner for him there, and Martha served, while Lazarus was one of those reclining at table with him. Mary took a liter of costly perfumed oil made from genuine aromatic nard and anointed the feet of Jesus and dried them with her hair; the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.
The Anointing at Bethany ~ John 12:1
Donations to Bethany Retreat House can be made through the St. Elizabeth Home Society.
St. Elizabeth Home Society is a non-profit, registered Canadian Charity.
Donations to support our charity can be dropped off or mailed to:
St. Elizabeth Home Society | 384 Rymal Road West | Hamilton, Ontario | L9B 1B8